Do you ever wonder why it’s so damn easy to focus on everything in your life that is NOT working? Why do we do this? Whether we are hard-wired for negativity, fall prey to societal pressures/comparisons or whether we are predisposed to looking at the glass as half-empty, I am going to share a secret to turn that frown upside down. Sometimes all it takes to change your life is a shift in focus.
How so, you ask? Energy flows where your focus goes. If your focus is on debt, illness, tragedy or even a “bad” day then guess what? You are growing more of what you DON’T want. Think of your energy/focus as food. If you “feed” all that’s not working in your life, then you are growing that bigger. However, if you choose to “feed” what you already have that you are grateful for or that which you want MORE of (money, a dream career, a great partner or just a more positive outlook), then you will grow that bigger.
How can you possibly have the energy to focus on what you want to have/create more of if your focus is on what’s not working? The answer is, you can’t. But, here’s five ways you can shift your focus to change your life.
- Appreciate – Gratitude is one of the pillars of a happy life. Focusing on and appreciating all the things that you have to be grateful for right now is the perfect way to start shifting your focus.
- Get Clear – Get crystal clear about what you want. If it’s a new job, for instance, describe what that new job would look like and feel like. What kind of work would you be doing? How much would you be making? What would your hours be? What would your colleagues be like? Write it all down so that you can add to it or refer to it later.
- Dream – Fantasize about it. Have fun with it. Believe that anything is possible.
- Meditate on it – Close your eyes, focus your attention on your breath, then envision your dream. Imagine you are already living the life you want. What does it look like? What does it feel like? Who’s around you? When your body is in a relaxed state free from distraction, the world can be your canvas.
- Set your intention each day – When you wake up in the morning, set the intention for your day. Don’t let your day happen to you. Decide what kind of day you want to have. Decide how you want to feel. Then, shift your focus to creating that for yourself.
When you start shifting your focus towards the things that you are grateful for and the things that you want to have/create more of in your life, you will notice that you will begin to feel happier, more energetic and more inspired. But don’t take my word for it…go ahead and give it a try!